Ahmedabad is one of those cities where there are plenty of places to explore and see. If you are planning a trip to this city then there will be no dearth of places. In fact, you might be spoilt for choices when it comes to selecting the must visit places in the city within your tour time. In order to make sure that you do not miss out on the most important places you need to have proper planning.
Well when it comes to planning a trip to this city, the first thing that you need to do is select any one place from all the Gujarat tourism hotels and book your room there. Once the booking is taken care of, do make sure that you visit the following places when in the city:
- The Sabarmati Ashram: Located on the banks of the river Sabarmati, in the Sabarmati district of Ahmedabad, lies the star attraction of this city. This ashram or hermitage was built by Mahatma Gandhi who envisioned a life for humanity which excluded everything but the bare necessities. He believed that people should make their own clothes and make household items of necessity with their own hands and hence he practised spinning the cloth for his own garments- a habit that he practised here. Both Gandhiji and his wife spent a substantial period of their life here and he directed the Indian freedom struggle largely from this location, which grants Sabarmati ashram the marker of a must visit place when in Ahmedabad.
- Jama Masjid: Just like its namesake in Delhi, this mosque is also one of the wonders that this city holds. It was built by Sultan Ahmed Shah in the year 1424 and is the largest mosque in the city. This mosque today houses the tombs of Ahmed Shah I and his successors, including the tombs of the begums as well. A tranquil atmosphere pervades the entire premises making it one of the best places for spiritual contemplation.
- JhultaMinar: This rather interesting architectural feature of Ahmedabad calls for visit when in the city. You can book a car from any one of the Ahmedabad five star hotels where you will be staying or you can take public transport to visit this famous tourist destination. Apart from the beautiful carvings that adorn these two minarets, the most interesting architectural feature is that if you shake one of the two, the other one begins to vibrate as well!
- Kankaria Lake: We all need some respite at the end of the day and in order to unwind and relax after a tiring day, you can go and sit by the largest lake of Ahmedabad- the Kankaria Lake and enjoy a lovely display of light on the water.
- Dada Hari Wav: And last but not the least, do visit this step well for its brilliant construction and the detailed and extensive carvings. What was once used as a water conservation vessel is today one of the most famous tourist attractions of Ahmedabad.
These are the top 5 places that you should visit when in the city. Do make sure that these are included in your itinerary for Ahmedabad.